stuff I think

Since 1965

Friday, September 16, 2005

American Junta?

I’m asking this question not because I want to start an argument, but because I honestly don’t know how I feel about it. I’m hoping to start a sane conversation about a serious subject.

Let’s say a group of high-ranking military officers loyal to Gen. Eric Shinseki (or some other brass hat who opposed the war in Iraq) decided they had seen just about enough of their troops dying in Iraq for no reason and staged a presidential coup. Like a South American junta, they stormed the White House, guns blazing, took the president and vice president hostage, and declared that they would hold onto power only long enough to end the war and bring the troops home.

There are any number of ways for the story to go from here, and I suppose how you feel about the aforementioned scenario might depend on how the story ends. But since we’d have no way of knowing the eventual outcome if it actually happened, I want to know:

Which side are you on?

Do you support the overthrow or do you fight to maintain the rule of law?

1 Comments:

  • At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The real question is what would people do if the Supreme Court or the Ohio Secretary of State conspired to overturn or steal an election of a popularly elected candidate.

    Oh wait... we already know the answer to that question-- NOTHING!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home